Senior Manager, Data Engineering and Architecture
Senior Manager, Data Engineering and Architecture
Reports to: Director, Software Engineering
Preferred Location(s): Kenya, Uganda, Burkina Faso, Other
Living Goods endeavours to improve access to essential healthcare services in underserved regions, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa. We empower Community Health Workers (CHWs) with digital tools that enable them to deliver door-to-door care. CHWs use a mobile app to track pregnancies, diagnose and treat common infectious diseases like malaria and pneumonia, monitor disease outbreaks, and follow up with families. Real-time data also supports performance monitoring and impact assessment. By integrating tech-based solutions into community health systems, Living Goods fosters better health outcomes, demonstrating the power of digital health in transforming healthcare delivery in resource-constrained settings.
We are looking for a Senior Manager for Data Engineering and Architecture, responsible for the planning, implementation, and management of our data systems. The successful candidate will work closely with our product management, programs, and MEL teams to understand data requirements and oversee the implementation of suitable solutions to ensure stakeholders’ needs are satisfied.
Embedded within the Digital Health Team, this role will report to the Director of Software Engineering. The ideal candidate will bring extensive expertise in data engineering, data architecture, data processing and analytics.
Roles And Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the product management, program management, and MEL teams to gather data requirements from key stakeholders.
- Lead the design, development, and maintenance of the organization's data warehouse infrastructure, ensuring a scalable architecture and robust data provenance.
- Spearhead the implementation of advanced data visualization techniques to generate meaningful insights to support performance monitoring and evidence-based decision-making.
- Oversee the design, development, and maintenance of data infrastructure, including databases, data warehouses, data lakes, and data processing systems.
- Supervise the development and optimization of data pipelines for collecting, cleaning, transforming, loading, analysing and visualizing data.
- Monitor data systems' performance and implement optimizations to ensure efficient data storage and retrieval.
- Lead, mentor, and manage data and dashboard engineers, providing guidance on best practices and professional development.
- Stay abreast of latest developments in data technologies and industry trends to drive innovation and continuous improvement in the organization's data capabilities.
- Identify and manage risks related to data management, including data quality, data privacy, and data security risks.
Skills & Competencies
- 10+ years of experience in a senior data management role, including data engineering, architecture, warehousing, and visualization. Preference will be given to candidates who have worked in the digital health sector.
- Expert knowledge of data modelling, database design, and data systems, including familiarity with various database technologies (e.g., MSSQL, Postgres, MySQL, CouchDB, MongoDB etc).
- Proficiency in developing, deploying, and maintaining scalable and secure data warehouses and data marts.
- Experience in leading, mentoring, and developing teams of data professionals.
- Ability to translate complex data concepts into understandable terms for non-technical stakeholders and ability to gather and interpret business requirements.
- Proficiency in using Business Intelligence (BI) tools, such as Power BI, Tableau or Superset, to create dashboards and other data visualizations.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to think creatively to overcome challenges and drive innovation in data management.
- Proven ability to successfully manage data-related projects, including planning, coordinating, and ensuring delivery within time and budget constraints.
- Comfort in a rapidly changing environment, with the ability to handle uncertainty and drive problem-solving initiatives.
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams, including product management, IT, compliance, and business operations, to achieve project and organizational goals.
- A Master’s or bachelor’s degree in Information and Communication, Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or a related discipline.
- Professional certifications or equivalent experience in data management, ETL processes, data warehousing, data visualization, and managing large and complex datasets.
A competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience including health insurance and bonus opportunity. The opportunity to be your best while making lives better for those in need.
Living Goods is an equal opportunity employer and will consider every qualified applicant for employment. Living Goods does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
Our current job openings are displayed on our website, where you can search for open positions and apply directly. Living Goods does not offer any positions without an interview and never asks candidates for money. If you are asked for money, we strongly recommend that you do not respond and do not send money or personal information.